HAPPY BIRTHDAY 30 YEARS 30 YEARS FOR OUR ASSOCIATION
MEDIEVAL MEALS AND EVENTS
PATRIMONY OF THE COUNTRIES OF SAUXILLANGES Patrimony of the countries of Sauxillanges
BOOKS N° 1 to 5 Read...
History Sauxillanges and Cluny abbey founded in the city in the tenth century is presented in a chapel of the fifteenth century through a permanent collection. Temporary exhibitions are held each year: local contemporary artists alongside objects related to the tradition - old crafts, musical instruments ... The room has books municipal archives collected since 1800.
Succinct presentation of Sauxillanges
Sauxillanges village of 1200 inhabitants located on Water-Mother, a few kilometers from Issoire was from the tenth century one of the most important spiritual center.
In 927, a monastery was founded there became one of the "five adult daughters" of the Cluniac order. Its influence stretched over much of Lower Auvergne.
In the French Revolution, the monastery was butchered and sold.
In 1987, the association "Peter the Venerable" saved in the flagship: the old chapel "Notre-Dame du Bois", also called "Chapelle du Prieur".